Monday, December 10, 2007

A local and a tourist take on Bethlehem

A friend of mine came into town on Friday to take in the sights and sounds of Christmas City USA. I often take for granted what a beautiful city I work in. I work right downtown at Spark, a full-service advertising, marketing and public relations firm.

For weeks shop owners have been decorating and preparing for the busy holiday shopping season. Beautiful window displays went up, and sprigs of greens were hung from the old streetlights. A few weeks ago, the holiday music began pumping through the street. Slowly foot traffic has increased downtown.

My friend and I started our day with a tasty bite to eat at the Bethlehem BrewWorks. Then we strolled down Main Street stopping here and there along the way, making sure to of course stop at the Moravian Book Shop.

Next we headed into Chriskindlmarkt. We both picked up a few gift items, and I grabbed a couple nice photographs. Then back up the hill to the Christmas Putz at Central Moravian Church. Most of the figurines we were told were made in the 1800s.

With the snow slowly falling, it was a picture-perfect afternoon. I hope you all have time to make it to downtown Bethlehem this holiday season. Most of the shops are open late all week during the season.

Happy Holidays,

Vanessa Williams
President

No comments: